Thursday, July 18, 2013

To El Paso and Back......

Hi friends.

I'm back from El Paso. Everybody survived the trip and separation and Owen did even better than grandparents were expecting. Hallelujah for that!

 Our trip? It was awesomesauce. It was exhausting and exciting and emotional and hilarious and God used those teenagers in a big way. And they stepped up to the challenge. And I love them in a big way! And I'm so proud of them!! Seriously. If you're one of those people who has little hope for the next generation, come spend some time with these hooligans because they will knock your socks off with their smarts and wit and dedication to doing God's will in their lives.

(And they have epic photobombing skillz.....)
 

I spent most of my mornings doing this. I was the resident hair stylist and I loved it. 
 

The rest of my time was spent in this bathroom. Most of the time I was by myself but occasionally Chelsea would come in and liven things up with her quick wit and mad painting skills.
 

We affectionately titled this photo "Mother Hen." Seriously. I was chilling on my bed braiding Jen's hair when a homeless man stopped by and was trying to get into the church. While Todd and Gene were outside taking care of the situation, this is what my bed looked like. Scared much, teens? As soon as he wandered off to try to find somewhere else to stay, the baby birds left the nest and it was just myself and Jen again. Hilarious I tell ya. Hilarious.
 

Best advice I can give you when hanging out with teenagers? Do not, under any circumstances, leave your phone unattended. I deleted 1200 pictures like these off my phone last night. Yes. 1200.

Thank you Chelsea. Just you wait. Payback's a you-know-what.....
 


Saturday morning part of the group got to do some hiking. And by hiking I mean rock climbing. And by rock climbing, I mean I was seriously wondering where our waiver forms were and if we were going to make it out alive. It was awesome and a little bit scary and we even saw a rattle snake. Amazing views though!!
 

And this is just one of the millions of reasons I love these teens. They gave of their time, their energy, and showed anyone and everyone the love of a big God! 
 

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to go. Thank you to everyone who kept our kids so we could both go. Thank you to the teens for making it a memorable trip. Thank you to our God who kept us safe and changed our lives.

To my teens?
 I miss you!

To the flying cockroaches of El Paso?
I do not so much miss you!

1 comment:

  1. What a FUN grouping of memories and pics.....I almost (almost!) felt as though I was there. No flying cockroaches at your house (thank goodness) but your kids kept me hopping in the best ways possible! Their love for one another and helpfulness throughout was amazing. I was blessed beyond measure and pray I was a blessing to them too! Sounds like we can all sign up for next year's adventure too!!!

    ReplyDelete