Monday, July 20, 2009

The Informer

This has always been one of my favorite pictures of Emma Grace. This was about two weeks before her fourth birthday. Back then, at age three, she was known as "the boss."

Things changed when she turned four. She went through a rite of passage and is now known as "The Informer." We know a lot of 4 year olds and this seems to be a common profession amongst them. And one they take quite seriously.

Now, there are certain advantages to having an informer. For example: "Mom, Isaac is sitting on Owen again," or "Mom, Isaac is putting toys down the vent again," or "Mom, Owen just puked all over the couch again," or "Mom, quit watching tv - Isaac is dangling Owen over the balcony again." (The last example was a slight exaggeration.)

There are also obvious disadvantages to having an informer. For example: "Mom, Owen is crying." (I am usually well aware of the fact that Owen is crying.) or "Mom, Isaac touched my arm or leg or toy or book or doll, etc." You get the drift.

But she truly trumped herself the other day. I was upstairs and I hear, "Mom, Isaac won't stop throwing air at me!" ????? I go look and he is in fact throwing air fanning her with a book.

How to respond?
"Isaac, put that air down right now or it's mine."
"Isaac, if I see that air in your hand again, I'm throwing it away."
"Isaac, how many times do I have to ask you to STOP throwing air at your sister."

Or Hysterical Laughter?

The dictionary defines an informer as "One who reveals confidential information in return for monetary compensation."

So far, we get this service for free. We truly are blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so glad she didn't get hurt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no....not the blowing air on me trauma! That sweet little face with the glowing smile too. She has ME charmed, even as "The Informer" and the one receiving all that air in the face! This Grandma remembers a couple of boys doing stuff like this too....hmmmm, Kevin and Todd I do believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Isaac, always the culprit! Cute, cute story. Can't wait to see all of you next week. And, yes, I did teach you better than to fling nose crusts, or at least to admit to it!! Love to all of you. Mom

    ReplyDelete