Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mangelina

I love to talk about international adoption, which is good because we get a lot of questions and comments about Isaac and his adoption. One that I've heard often and that I find sad is the Madonna/Angelina comparison. "Oh, did you adopt from Africa because Madonna and Angelina did?" Seriously? If I wanted to be like Madonna or Angelina - I would become anorexic, have lots of plastic surgery, buy really expensive clothes, and trade Todd out for Brad Pitt.

International adoption is not a fad and the fact that some people think that way is insulting. Adoption (international or otherwise) is just one way that God blesses many families with children. It is not the only way and it is definitely not the easiest way, but in my opinion, it is a great way.

This article was written by an adoptive mother of a beautiful Ethiopian girl. I think she did a pretty good job of summing up adoptive parents feelings on the subject of celebrity/trendy adoptions. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/2009/06/madonna-and-child/?mbid=rss_feature

PS - If adoptive parents of African children are just trying to be "trendy" like Angelina, does that mean people who choose to only have biological children are just trying to be cool like Britney Spears? Scary..........

1 comment:

  1. Awesome article. Through my tears I honor her passion for her child, her child's birth country, and her child's present and future. My tears are wrapped up in her final words which I will alter here when referring to my precious grandson, Isaac: "Please God, he lives, and I thank you." It is an honor to be his Grandma Fish!

    ReplyDelete