Tuesday, November 10, 2009

To Ethiopia, and Beyond...

Most days I think Isaac is really starting to "get it." He is at the stage now where he can explain to others where he was born. This is wonderful, because now we give him the option in public of whether or not he wants to share his personal story with the curious public. (I know this may sound strange to non-adoptive families as it once did to me, but after much research and discussion with other adoptive families, we really feel this is in Isaac's best interest.) We never want him to resent us for sharing his private life with strangers.

As a side note: there are two types of curious public.
Type 1. ) Those who are asking because they themselves are clearly interested in adoption. At this age, Isaac still gets to choose whether he wants to share where he is from, but I will delicately answer any other questions they may have about the adoption process, etc.
Type 2.) Those who are asking because they are merely curious as to why our family looks different. This situation is completely up to Isaac. I take my cues from him. Usually he just tells them where he was born, I don't add any information and we move on. There has only been one instance where he was too busy playing and didn't want to share. It was very hard, but I just smiled politely and we kept on doing what we were doing.

So far, he does not mind sharing and seems proud of his heritage. I pray that this continues, but also understand that the older he gets, the more annoyed he may get by the questions. That being said, we've also noticed the older he gets, the less attention we get in public. Interracial families are becoming more and more common. :) I also understand that once he enters school, he will be left to field many more questions/insecurities from his peers on his own. You have no idea how many times I've hit my knees praying for those future situations.

I love a good laugh, so next time we're approached in public, I really hope Isaac shares the information he relayed to me this morning while reading a book about a baby. He turned to me and said: "Mommy, remember when I was born in Opapia and you and Daddy brought your space ship to come pick me up?"

PS - He's obsessed with everything Buzz Lightyear right now.

1 comment:

  1. Isaac has blessed our family in more ways than we can ever count! My own life is filled with wonderful blessings with all 5 of my grandchildren. I know in my heart,Isaac will negotiate the curious public's questions (I've been with him many times when that's happened) and that he will be confident and loving as he grows BECAUSE his parents have prepared their own hearts for the joys of adoption, without burying their heads in the sand. Isaac's mom and dad are among the greatest blessings he will ever receive in his joyous life in our family! He knows God, he knows love and security, he knows responsibility, and he knows joy! I commend all adoptive families for their ability to give and to receive in children's lives!

    ReplyDelete