Thursday, May 30, 2013

All things Considered


Fab Fischer Five Update:

The creative juices aren't flowing so I'm just jumping in without an intro.
Forgive me.

The littlest has finished his year of pre-school. We will miss Bridges and Beyond; it was a great place for him to be, but I'm excited to see where the road leads next and which special teachers are going to come into our lives to help us get into the groove of public schooling with a label.

And I had this big, long, hairy post about how we (or mainly I) was handling everything that came hurtling at us last month, but when I read through it again, it just makes me sad. Because I wrote it in the midst of everything and it is grief. Plain and simple gut wrenching grief about what my boy was going through and will continue to go through. And maybe one day I'll post it, but we're moving past grief, so I'm not so much feeling it right now. Which is a good thing. And a God thing.

 Llllloooooonnnnngggggg story short: It was a crappy month, and I felt depression lingering but God is good and we are moving forward. I will say this to all the well meaning people out there (including my old, naive self) hearing that your child is autistic, no matter their level of "functioning," just plain hurts. If you know a Mama going through that, just hug her, and send her funny texts, and distract her and pray for her and with her, and make her watch Pitch Perfect so she can laugh. Don't try to point out all the great things about her child. Believe me, nobody knows how awesome that sweet child is more than she does. She just needs time to accept the hurdles of the path facing him. And she will get there, but it won't be in one day and it won't be in a nice pretty package, and it won't be without shedding a tear or two.  Please trust me when I say I am not criticizing. I've said the wrong thing so many times that I should probably just have my foot surgically removed and placed permanently in my mouth. I'm just trying to help by saying that when you don't know what to say, a hug and an "I'm here for you" goes a long way.

Here's Owen and the bigs with their great grandmother who is as precious as the day is long.

She doesn't really remember who we are, but she was damn excited to see us. And she also really wanted to know when she could eat again and I totally get that.




We had a great holiday weekend visit with Todd's parents.  The bigs are winding down their school year. Emma Grace is flying through books like it's nobody's business and Isaac is all things basketball these days. We're finally getting the hang of this whole feeding tube thing and I haven't had to change the sheets due to a feeding leak in a week now. Woot woot. And so, all things considered, we're chugging right along.

Oh and just in case you need a baby fix...........

I get to hold this sweet girl next week!


I'm coming, Ellie Kate! 

Try not to grow anymore before I can get there and kiss those scrumptious lips and smell your tufts of baby hair.

3 comments:

  1. It certainly has been a long month with the twists and turns that have been some of the most challenging. But the grace with which you, Todd, the kids have all reached the last day of May has been a gift from God. I will hang onto those great moments and I AM THERE FOR YOU! Virtual hugs being sent, real hugs always available! SO excited you will be snuggling Ellie Kate soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and Sunday night was fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit fuzzy....what happened Sunday night? Oh yes....rotten egg smelling wine and bucket drink....... Too much fun! Loved being with you guys!! ;)

      Delete